Friday 8 October 2010

iASIAN Magazine Cover

So after a few days ago my 'A' Level media instructor, Ms. Norville, asked us to design a front cover for a magazine. Today is the deadline for the assessment. That's why I'm writing this post. Here's my textual analysis for my magazine's front cover:

My magazine falls into the category of teenage technology magazine. The niche audience that my magazine should attract are: asian ethnicity; teenagers; Christian religion; and middle-classed.

To achieve my magazine's purpose, I designed my magazine to have a brand identity naming it "iASIAN," in relation to "iPad," and "iPhone" with the small "i" to present authenticity to the technology magazine. I added captions to all the images I added. The "JACKY CHAN VS JET LI" head line with a typeface in bold with a scratchy red texture to reveal a violent genre and in sans-serif to overlap with the images behind them. Then I put the text "in" with smaller text and different colour and below it, the Mario Kart Wii logo to add humour to the magazine and make it seem to have a friendlier mode of address to the audience. I just added the images of these two famous people to attract initial attention for anyone who knows them.

Since most middle-classed people (which is part of my niche audience) are familiar with the iPad, I thought of adding this advertorial to add more authenticity to the technology side of a technology magazine. I made the caption for the iPad, in sans-serif, to have a slight teenage language and also used the term 'must-have' to make the magazine's mode of address be somewhat modern. Also, I changed the next sentence below's graphic colour to green with the word "free" to attract people to grab the magazine.

I added a few advertisements on the bottom of the magazine showing Christmas and family holidays to lure in part of my target audience: Christian religion people.

At the top of my magazine's front cover, I added the text "FREE! POKEMON CARD FOR EVERY READER!" with the graphic "FREE!" in different colour to initially catch the reader's eye. The main objective of this, however, is to hook people in who are fond with pokemon, which is quite popular. Thus, increasing my audience.

Overall, I think my magazine's front cover fulfills all the objectives needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment