Friday 11 March 2011

About The Double Page Spread "The Joule Hitters"

I made my double page spread as full-on as possible, including a lot of photos to entertain the reader and idolize the celebrities through the magazine, therefore, getting them to admire the magazine. What I've noticed the codes and conventions were for these music magazine pages were: they add quotes from the celebrity/celebrities; sometimes they add reviews; they add a lot of photos; they use the interviewer's logo instead of the magazine's logo; and they limit the colour for the pages to about three or four.

My double page spread consists of some codes and conventions of music magazines' pages: I added an interview; photos related to the story, main celebrities, etc.; the interview title; quotes from the interviewees; caption; columns; pyramid structure; bylines; and more.

The colour scheme of this double page spread is made similar to the front cover and contents page to make the reader subconsciously aware of what magazine they are reading - SHAKE. Also, some research about purple, in colour psychology, suggests that the colour purple make the reader prejudice luxury, while the colour blue makes the reader feel calm, therefore, I used this certain colour-scheme to make the reader feel luxurious and not judge the band as much of being "rebels" or anything about how teenagers would be represented - to balance out the representation, to widen my target audience being happy reading the magazine.

The photos which I added are some stock, and some recent. The photos which I added for the fictional "Joule Hitters" are actually some photos which I took of my friends throughm the times we had together - I added the ones which I felt suited the pop band reputation. Some were scripted and edited to apply my use of the hypodermic needle theory, making the audience believe this is what they do, and some were natural to retain the authenticity of how it relates to the plot of how the band acts off-stage - applying the uses and gratification theory to make the reader not only read, but also to visualize what they are doing via photographs.

I tend to entertain the readers with my editing of some photographs and how they are layered out, I tend to inform the reader of how the band looks out of stage, and I tend to make the reader feel personally identified by different photograph types (invitational, outward gaze, etc.). Applying my graphic skills which I've learnt from doing AS level graphic design, I composed items which I felt would make the pages look more professional. I added items such as: the notepad which contains the "who, what, where, when, and how" about the band to not only inform the reader, but to also entertain them with a fun way of presenting the information, thus, gets them enticed to purchase the next magazines; fancy, gradiented, non-flat colours applied on the website links to make the reader judge the magazine's reputation as being very graphic-aware.

Manipulating mise-en-scene to the photographs, I applied my use of the hypodermic needle theory and the reception theory to gain certain effects on my target audience and beyond. Since some photographs have guitars on them and other specific audience targets such as the fallen cupid, this puts into the fact that, referring to the reception theory, other people may decode this in a different way in which I decoded it: oppositional readers such as religious people, formal people, etc. may see the representation of the models as demonic(fallen cupid dead) or slang teenagers(ageist people may see them too young for the industry) - the way in how I planned to put these certain people in negotiated or preferred reading is the story, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to fit that much so in reality, I would've added it on the other page - using the hypodermic needle theory, I could add certain sides of their representation such as being religious, having a formal side, etc. to persuade these types of readers(oppositional readers) and give the effect of a good ending interview story.

What I've noticed from the double page spreads from my research was that they add reviews on the pages. I added my own reviews on mine about upcoming concerts to inform the reader and make them feel loyal to the magazine, giving them the idea that this is a reliable magazine. I added rhyming and repetition of "know" to make the reviews seem fun and less boring to liven up the reader. Since they were reviews after all, I tried to add the magazine's opinion on these concerts and also applying the "who, what, where, when, how" to compliment the reader's needs.






Here is my final double page spread:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this Robert i found this very helpful and i really liked the way you talked about your research and codes and conventions. Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete